Saturday, February 27, 2010

Starting out is hard to do.

How do you start a blog for the very first time? Oh well, here goes.It actually snowed a little bit today (what a surprise) and more is expected tonight. Winter is not my favorite season and this one has been the worst one in thirty years in this area. But I'm not complaining because so may others have had such horrible snows. One of the best things I like about winter is putting a pot of soup on to simmer. My married children both live in this town and we can get together often to share a meal. Soup and grilled sandwiches is a favorite meal at this time of year. I am going to share a recipe for a very good, healthy chili. It doesn't sound that good but it really is. The guys in my family are all meat and potato fellows but they all love this soup. (I think they think the chunks of squash are potatoes). I would love to share a picture of it but I'm not sure if I can do that just yet. You will have to give this old dog some time to learn all of these new blogging tricks.

HEARTY CHILI

Brown in a sprayed dutch oven or stockpot:
1 lb. extra lean ground beef or turkey
1 med. onion, diced.
Add:
2 14 oz. cans diced tomatoes
2 med. zucchini - diced
2 med. yellow squash - diced
1 15 oz. can black beans - rinsed and drained
4 ribs of celery - chopped
1 green pepper - diced
2 15 oz. cans beef broth
1 pkg. dry chili seasoning (I use McCormick mild chili seasoning and add 1 teaspoon chili powder.
Add salt and pepper to taste.
Simmer 30 minutes and enjoy.  Freezes well.

The original recipe called for 2 28 oz. cans of diced tomatoes but my family does not like that many tomatoes and we like thicker soup (They call most of my soups stoups (stew + soup).

Please come back and visit again.  I have some old photos, postcards, book pages etc. to share as I become more proficient at this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome!